Open Records Request
Please fill out an Online Open Records Request Form to expedite processing.
Effective August 22, 2018, Erath County Sheriff’s Office is now charging for Open Records Request. The amount to be paid must be exact change, check, or money order.
The cost of a request is as follows:
$0.10 per page - under 50 pages
$0.10 per page plus $15 an Hour - over 50 pages
$1 per Rewritable Optical Disk (CD-RW)
$1 per Non-Rewritable Optical Disk (CD-R, CD+R)
$3 per Digital Video Disc (DVD-R, DVD+R)
Read through the following policies regarding requesting open records:
- All open records requests are released on a case-by-case basis, according to the Public Information Act. Each open records request is processed in order of receipt.
- All information considered to be public, including basic information, will be released within 10 days from the date of receipt of the request.
- By law, the Sheriff’s Office has 10 days to respond or release the information which is sought.
- Within that 10-day period, we will contact you when and if your records are ready for release and inform you of all costs associated with your open records request.
- Any information to be withheld will be forwarded to the Texas Office of the Attorney General for a ruling. The Attorney General’s Office has up to a 90-day response time, which can be extended for larger or voluminous requests. When a final ruling notice has been received by the Sheriff’s Office, we have 15 days to release the information ordered by the Attorney General. When a final ruling is made, you will be contacted and provided with a ruling letter.
- You will be informed of all correspondence between the Sheriff’s Office and the Attorney General’s Office pertaining to your open records request.
- The Sheriff’s Office does not decipher which information is to be released or withheld.
- The Attorney General’s Office makes the ruling which is final. All rulings are based upon Texas Law set forth by Texas Legislature.